Re: Vidalia Bundle and RSS in Thunderbird 3.0

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 09:12:10PM -0600, bennett@xxxxxxxxxx wrote 2.3K bytes in 49 lines about:
:      Does Thunderbird perchance have a way to set the timeout to a different
: value?

There appear to a few ways to set the timeout, unsure which one matters
for rss feed pulls over http over tor from TB3's perspective.

In the Config Editor, there is:

mailnews.tcptimeout set to 100
network.proxy.failover_timeout set to 1800

Changing these doesn't seem to matter too much.  I set them to 9000 and
there were still some test feeds that didn't load (blog.torproject.org
oddly enough).

: >> Hrm. So tor automatically blocks smtp connections by default and there
: >> is local leakage of DNS by TB3. Guess it's time to find a new mail
: >> client. ):

There is a config option named:
network.proxy.socks_remote_dns which is set to false by default.
Setting it to True does appear to work as intended.

And if you didn't catch it, the default Thunderbird Start Page (on
WinXP) is
http://live.mozillamessaging.com/thunderbird/start?locale=en-US&version=3.0&os=WINNT&buildid=20091204171430

When the socks proxy is set, this does go over tor correctly.

:      I thought that, pursuant to a discussion here last year or the year
: before, the default exit policy was changed to allow the smtps port.  Did
: that change not get made after all?

According to policies.c line 841:
#define DEFAULT_EXIT_POLICY                                         \
  "reject *:25,reject *:119,reject *:135-139,reject *:445,"         \
  "reject *:563,reject *:1214,reject *:4661-4666,"                  \
  "reject *:6346-6429,reject *:6699,reject *:6881-6999,accept *:*"

it seems that tor does allow 465 by default.  Sorry for any confusion.
I should learn to RTFC first over my memory.

:      Does it have a way to choose SOCKS 4A instead of SOCKS 5?

It appears SOCKS 4 or 5 are the only options.  SOCKS 5 with the config
option network.proxy.socks_remote_dns set to true does work as intended.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project

Website: https://torproject.org/