Re: Active Attacks - Already in Progress?

Thus spake Theodore Bagwell (toruser1@xxxxxxx):

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 17:54 -0800, "Mike Perry" <mikeperry@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Rather than cripple the network by forcing more clients to use slower
> > nodes more often, we have opted to try to document the process of
> > running a high capacity Tor exit node:
> > http://archives.seul.org/tor/relays/Aug-2010/msg00034.html
>
> In my research (posted earlier to this list), I did not find an issue
> with exit relays. The relays which were reliably chosen as part of my
> circuit were often the first or second relay in my circuit - not the
> exit relay.

In this case, you are experiencing your guard nodes. This is a
protective measure where the Tor client remembers a set of 3 live
nodes and tries to use them for up to 2 months for its 1st hop... This
is done to protect against a wide variety of traffic analysis attacks.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist