Re: Arm Release 1.4.0

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 06:26:10PM -0800, Damian Johnson wrote:

> if (localPort == ORPort or localPort == DirPort):
>   # treat as an inbound connection with the external ip
>   # this is part of arm's current behavior
> elif (localPort == SocksPort and OS == FreeBSD):
>   # treat as an inbound connection with the internal ip (ie, what's
> reported by sockstat)
>   # this is new to fix the issue you mention

Yes,  and maybe just ignore them. IMHO there's no point in seeing these.

> else:
>   # treat as an outbound connection
>   # again, part of arm's current behavior
>
> ... right? If not, could you please clarify?
>
> > 'GETINFO config-file' will show the  path to torrc from within the jail.
> > So arm tries to read:
> > /path/to/torrc
> > The location from the host though would be
> > /path/to/jail/path/to/torrc
> >
> > Reading the file in that way, I believe, is not a good idea.
> >
> > All this only applies for systems running Tor in a jail and arm from the
> > host.
> > Arm works nicely with Tor if both are  running on the same host or
> > inside a jail on FreeBSD.
>
> If you set "features.pathPrefix /path/to/jail" in your armrc then it'll read:
> /path/to/jail/path/to/torrc
>
> like you wanted. Again, if you have an approach for arm to detect that
> (a) Tor exists in a BSD jail and (b) what its path is then I'd be
> happy to make it work by default instead.

Well, I personally do not like anything reading files in a jail in that
way and can do without this particular feature.
And if, setting 'features.pathPrefix /path/to/jail'  will get the desired
results.

Thanks Damian, thanks Fabian
Regards

P.S. wonder where the list sentinels will start to grumble on this ...