Re: Help with JanusVM?

Sorry to hear your having troubles with JanusVM and for the lack of information for Linux users.
JanusVM is not a zombie/defunct/dead as I use it quite often with different operating systems, even with my smart phone, and it works just fine.

Let's say JanusVM's settings are:

eth0 (On VMware's bridged interface)
IP: 192.168.1.102
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

eth1 (On VMware's NAT'd or Host-only interface)
IP: 192.168.50.128
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
---------------------------------------
Let's say your PC NIC settings are as follows:
IP: 192.168.1.100
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

All you have to do is change the Gateway and DNS settings on your PC to:
IP: 192.168.1.100
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.102
DNS: 4.2.2.2

Any other PC on your LAN can do the same using the 192.168.1.102 address as their gateway and set their DNS to an external DNS server.

OR if you want to isolate your PC from the LAN you could use:
IP:  192.168.50.130
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.50.128
DNS: 4.2.2.2

Notice the gateway address is now pointing at JanusVM, and the DNS address is using an IP OUTSIDE YOUR LAN.  The reason you need your DNS to point outside your local LAN is to prevent DNS leaks.  When the DNS server is outside your LAN, the DNS resolve request get's sent to JanusVM where it is redirected to Tor's DNS port.

Expect JanusVM to be updated soon because of the recent security bug found in Tor.
I'm still in holiday mode with family and friends and will update it soon.  The reason you don't see it updated every month is because we use a little software as possible to create it, reducing the amount of updates/patches required to keep it secure.  Generally the only thing that we have to update is Tor.

Happy Holidays,

Kyle