Re: [tor-talk] Tor OPSEC - Operational Security - Great Resource of Information!

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 00:27:59 -0500
grarpamp <grarpamp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bridges are not intended for use by the general population, but by
> people who truly need them and/or cannot reach Tor any other way.

Generally, I use bridges to avoid telling the local network I'm
connecting to the Tor Network. If I forget to get some bridges in
advance, I'll just connect to faceless.me or ipredator and then fire up
Tor. Rarely, I'll just connect to an open SOCKS5/HTTPS proxy and tunnel
Tor through that.

Most of my problem with bridges is that they are unreliable. I seem to
find the ones that have connectivity problems. I either end up with a
list of 40 bridges, or I just get new ones before a trip.

I know Karsten wrote a paper about bridge stability and giving out at
least one stable bridge per set given,
https://metrics.torproject.org/papers/bridge-stability-2011-10-31.pdf.
There is hope that in the future, at least one of my chosen bridges is
stable.

--
Andrew
pgp 0x74ED336B