Re: [tor-talk] Did we decide about bad exits ? Where does bittorrent fall ?

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 00:12:40 -0500
grarpamp <grarpamp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > [1] OB: bt traffic hurts the tor network. ÂYou should not use bt
> > with tor.
>
> All traffic 'hurts' the Tor network. You should not use your computer
> with Tor. Oh, wait, yeah, that'll never works :)
> I think it's time to stops negging BT. There are other equally bulk
> uses. And they'll all appear in time, whether or not they use an exit.
> So try sayings instead... donate a relay, then do whatever you want.

I mostly agree with this 'pay it forward mentality'. I almost use Tor
for all of my tcp traffic. This includes watching cute cat videos on
youtube, vimeo, etc. I'm well acquainted with the 'buffering' message
in html5 video.

I also use tor to download operating system iso such as Debian,
FreeBSD, and the like. I once transferred an entire virtual machine
(5GB) over ssh over Tor when I was traveling and crossing borders
frequently.

There are completely legitimate uses of bittorrent over Tor. I've
talked to people who want to get their ISO of Fedora or Ubuntu from
outside their country, so they bt over tor to do so.

I'm fully aware that the tor codebase punishes me for doing large
downloads over Tor, so be it.

--
Andrew
pgp 0x74ED336B