Re: [tor-talk] Possible upcoming attempts to disable the Tor network

On 12/22/2014 02:18 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 02:03:04PM -0700, Mirimir wrote:
>> In light of recent posts from Thomas White and some node operators, I'm
>> wondering whether "seizure" might be looking more like "compromise".
>> There might be a range of attacks, from DDoSing to rooting, and perhaps
>> even the covert installation of malicious hardware. Or is that too alarmist?
>
> So far all is quiet on the directory authority front, and no news is
> good news.
>
> As for Thomas's servers, I should emphasize that Tor exit relays aren't
> the same as Tor directory authorities. There are 1000+ exit relays in
> the Tor network, and it is normal (and safe) for them to come and go for
> all sorts of reasons. He took his relays down himself to be conservative
> while investigating, but currently he's not thinking it has to do with
> law enforcement. When he took them down, the Tor network temporarily
> lost a little bit of exit capacity, but that too is normal.
>
> There are six thousand plus relays in the Tor network right now, and
> things are happening as usual. There's no indication currently that
> anything in particular has happened recently.
>
> --Roger

Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry to confuse things. I saw in the list
of trusted authorities at https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8774833
that Riseup runs one, and somehow didn't see that Thomas was reporting
on exit relays and mirrors.

I ought to chill, I suppose.