Re: [tor-talk] Giving Hidden Services some love

>> This could be combined with a change to HTTPS Everywhere to prefer
>> HS sites over clear web sites, just as it prefers HTTPS over HTTP.
>> (I think this has been mentioned before?)
>
> You mean like what we've been doing over on
> https://github.com/chris-barr/darkweb-everywhere? :)

I knew it was being discussed somewhere, although I'm getting a 404 on
that page at the moment.

> The above tool (granted I have a *very* clear bias) is why I am not a
> fan of the "make a hidden service be a reverse proxy to another
> website". I'm not comfortable with transferring expected ownership of
> a website for a number of reasons, which is is why we try to vet every
> site included.
>
> I'm very big on asking websites, especially those that are censored,
> to run a hidden service as a way to protect their users and as a way
> to make them more censor resistant. I think the lack of interest has
> started to go away now that Blockchain and Facebook have implemented
> one, since I haven't been getting the usial "Well we don't block
> Tor..." response. Maybe we can get a big news organization to run one
> for a proof of concept?

Yes, a reverse proxy would just be a tool to help an organisation
transition into running a HS, and should be performed in conjunction
with the organisation. This should be part of a campaign to encourage
organisations to participate in Tor.

I think we're pretty much in agreement here.
--
kat