[tor-talk] Giving Hidden Services some love

As per Nick's post, I fully agree that hidden services do need some
work, but I imagine the vast majority of people on this list are not
skilled in the languages and areas required to do any kind of
technical reform to them. However, technical reform of them is only
one aspect.

I've been launching a few of my own hidden services recently with some
useful things such as Tor project mirrors, as well as my own
client-side encrypted file host/sync which I've currently got in
private beta (email me privately if you want to give it a test drive).
In order to make hidden services a bigger priority and to potentially
attract more funding from sponsors to Tor Project, I think we as a
community need to make better use of them. They are end to end
encryption, thus have held up very well against nation state attackers
like the NSA and GCHQ, and they do not require exits and that makes
use of the underutilised capacity of the non-exit relays in the network.

If anyone has any thoughts on what they would like to see as a hidden
service, I am all ears to suggestion. Whether you can build it or not
(so yeah, even if it is just an idea throw it at me) I'd love to know
what you want to see in hidden services.

One of the primary ideas in the works right now for myself is a shared
host environment which I and a few others are experimenting with ideas
for, but the premise is each person would be assigned a small virtual
machine and they could host Wordpress blogs for example, or whatever
else that would make people more comfortable using hidden services.

So to conclude - if you've got ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Happy new year all,

- --
Activist, anarchist and a bit of a dreamer.

PGP Keys: key.thecthulhu.com
Current Fingerprint: E771 BE69 4696 F742 DB94 AA8C 5C2A 8C5A 0CCA 4983
Key-ID: 0CCA4983
Master Fingerprint: DDEF AB9B 1962 5D09 4264 2558 1F23 39B7 EF10 09F0
Key-ID: EF1009F0

Twitter: @CthulhuSec
XMPP: thecthulhu at jabber.ccc.de
XMPP-OTR: 4321B19F A9A3462C FE64BAC7 294C8A7E A53CC966