Re: Why doesn't Tor support 4a?

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 04:23:25PM -0800, ADB wrote:
> Dear Roger,
>    Why does Tor support SOCKS 4 and 5 protocols but not 4a?

I assume this isn't what you meant to ask.  Tor supports SOCKS4a and
SOCKS5-with-hostnames, but using SOCKS4 or SOCKS5-with-IP-addresses
means that you're probably leaking DNS.

 [...]
>    Alternatively, if there's some reason why this has to be the case,
> has anyone thought of doing one of the following as a work-around?

Yes, people have looked into solutions here.  "Torcap" intercepts
gethostbyname requests at the C library level, and the projects called
"TorDNS" act as local nameservers that relay requests to Tor.  Neither
is cross-platform, though, and neither supports hidden services
correctly.  (Supporting hidden services would be doable with the
'MAPADDRESS' command in the control interface, but I don't think
anybody's taking that approach yet.)

The problem here is not a lack of good ideas but a lack of spare
time.  Thanks for the ideas though!

yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson