Re: About WLAN and monitoring..

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Andrew wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> >On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, algenon flower wrote:
> >>I run a Tor client on a laptop at easy to access pub wifi access points.
> >>What I need to know is, assuming I have disallowed file sharing, ect what
> >>info could a wifi host be able to access on my computer? I have heard
> >>they could only log my MAC address, the unique code identifying my wifi
> >>card. Is more available to an attacker?
> >[snip]
> >"the internet" begins at layer 3. Tor provides services for layer 3 and
> >above. So yes, a WIFI provider might be able to identify your laptop with
> >MAC address of the wifi or build in ethernet card. (Layer 2)
> >
> >But if Tor is used correctly he is not able to "see" what services "of the
> >internet" you are using.
> >

> There's also the possibility (at leat for some versions of linux and
> newer Windows versions, not sure about other OSs) to spoof (change/hide)
> your MAC address.
> Be advised that such applications might be illegal in some countries.
> One very powerful linux distro allowing for this is BackTrack2,

at this time, its not possible to change the mac address for nearly any wirless
network card i know.

if you want to try to change the mac address simply read:
	man ifconfig

there is nothing special about it. in windows its possible to change the
address in the hardware properties of the card, its called "hw address".

--
Florian Reitmeir