Re: New Tor distribution for testing: Tor Browser Bundle

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 10:19:54PM +0100, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> Steven, i suggest to make it hardcoded default and a Must, that each user,
> using this browser, is as well running an tor **exit** node,
> tit for tat. like emule partials: upload is a MUST.

I don't think this is likely in the near future. One of the important
target classes of users is people who are at risk of persecution by
their government and want to keep a low profile. Many of these users
are also not fully computer literate and there may not be fully
translated Tor documentation in their language.

The goals of the bundle include being easy to set up and to leave
limited traces (both are still being worked on). In this scenario, to
broadcast the fact that someone is using Tor is in my opinion an
unacceptable risk. There would need to be some way to protect these
users before mandatory server operation is the standard.

Steven.

--
w: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/sjm217/