[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
Firefox woes with .onion and proxies
- To: or-talk@xxxxxxxx
- Subject: Firefox woes with .onion and proxies
- From: Stephen Carpenter <thecarp@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 16:54:04 -0500
- Delivered-to: archiver@xxxxxxxx
- Delivered-to: or-talk-outgoing@xxxxxxxx
- Delivered-to: or-talk@xxxxxxxx
- Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:54:11 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:date:message-id:subject :from:to:content-type; bh=fQMQRhsErEg/DEYyBhZRL5TVt0Vo5oOHWkF+0EyH0Ak=; b=e0JmToFIVRWOeF/WELr9A+f/GJaSZJ9ov9ny7bubMHiST2ss7WwFnXo/NWvAZT4IVm 27wD0JiA4Rz7eq6npDW+J8nXWXKbW3I8NziH490ipJuI827w6wkIskauv2XsK5ZZUq7T tTbm32jAOLYeuT3ZgcPopZd4Z575Cs5m7abBE=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; b=fMtXLJUlm3Us/wZ3+/JDcWin9XyktrbOObwoh2UTAdyAoPfisY4CoQysd68AGUzQLm PaaneOyH4JKcGLZ/l/yRdwDQF7OnavZyfbG5+do5VUnaSrwgf7KwuGbS9qJMhoFLonSc g2ZT46V8H0jHjr/MsLYZCWNKmQU6KN61ACbrc=
- Reply-to: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is more of a firefox issue than tor, but I am hoping someone has run into this and knows what I am seeing.
Firefox/torbutton/tor has me about to rip hair out. I have used tor for a while, kicked around a location hidden service. Decided I wanted to experiment some more.
A while back I setup a second firefox profile just for tor, and recently installed torbutton instead of "leaving it naked". Now I am quite unamused.
If I connect to my proxy (either privoxy or polipo) I can issue a head command for my onion address. I get a proper response indicating the webserver that I am running. Good to go.
Now I fire up firefox. If I use torbutton in default config, I can get to google, verify that my IP is not my own etc. If I go to vidalia and select a new identity, I get a new IP and usually, google in a new language. Awesome. Now, I put in my onion address.... and firefox dutifully adds a "www." before it, and immediately times out.
Then I go into the torbutton config. I turn off all proxies except the socks proxy on 9050. Now I can browse the web AND connect to my hidden service.
However, after a few requests, firefox starts reporting that the URL being loaded is of a bin type and needs to be handled by an external program. I allow it, and it brings up the download manager, with no new file listed but "all downloads completed". This persists until I restart firefox.
If I go to the webapp that I am playing with, and get redirected to another URL on the same site, it loads does the same dance, but does it every time.
Has anyone seen behavior like this? I am stumped.
Even if I turn off torbutton, it does this, so I suspect its a firefox version or config issue.