Re: Firefox woes with .onion and proxies

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 04:54:04PM -0500, thecarp@xxxxxxxxx wrote 3.9K bytes in 75 lines about:
: A while back I setup a second firefox profile just for tor, and recently
: installed torbutton instead of "leaving it naked". Now I am quite unamused.
:
: Now I fire up firefox. If I use torbutton in default config, I can get to
: google, verify that my IP is not my own etc. If I go to vidalia and select a
: new identity, I get a new IP and usually, google in a new language. Awesome.
: Now, I put in my onion address.... and firefox dutifully adds a "www."
: before it, and immediately times out.

Firefox shouldn't be adding a www.  Do you type in
http://onionaddress.onion or just onionaddress.onion? Which version
of firefox?

What messages appear in the tor client logfile while this is occurring?
It's possible your tor client doesn't have a path to the hidden service
yet.

: Then I go into the torbutton config. I turn off all proxies except the socks
: proxy on 9050. Now I can browse the web AND connect to my hidden service.
: However, after a few requests, firefox starts reporting that the URL being
: loaded is of a bin type and needs to be handled by an external program. I
: allow it, and it brings up the download manager, with no new file listed but
: "all downloads completed". This persists until I restart firefox.

This seems like a problem with the remote server and a mime type config.
I've also seen the problem with non-hidden services when the circuit is
dropped midway through a transfer of the files.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project

Website: https://torproject.org/