Re: bridge relay: GeoIPFile config option

On 2/16/10 11:47 PM, Olaf Selke wrote:
> Roger Dingledine schrieb:
>>> the free of charge MaxMind's db works perfectly to match the country.
>>> Determining state/region, city, US postal code, and so on requires the
>>> non crippled version.
>>
>> Really? I am under the impression that they have four databases: 1)
>> crippled (gpl) country db, 2) non-crippled (commercial) country db, 3)
>> crippled city db, 4) non-crippled city db.
>
> here's a comparison between the free of charge (gpl) GeoLite Country and
> the commercial GeoIP Country version
> http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecountry
>
> Accuracy seems to be 0,3% different and update interval differs. Don't
> get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince tor developers to switch over
> to MaxMind's product. My intention only has been to understand the
> bridge relay startup errors. I was mistaken about the geoip db format
> even I rtfm.

My impression is also that free and commercial Maxmind don't differ by
that much. I started working on a GeoIP database comparison in October
2009 that might be of interest here:

  http://freehaven.net/~karsten/metrics/geoipdbcomp-2009-10-23.pdf

As you can see in Figure 3, the two Maxmind databases have significant
overlap. I didn't investigate any further what the differences are and
in how far they affect the countries we're interested in with respect to
bridge usage. I'm going to publish the scripts for drawing these graphs
in the next few days on http://metrics.torproject.org/. If someone wants
to pick this up, I'm happy to help out with support.

--Karsten