Re: [tor-talk] Help users in Iran reach the internet

On 02/10/2012 06:41, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
Hi,

In the last 48 hours a major campaign of filtering has started in Iran -
it started slow and now appears to be that nearly all SSL/TLS traffic is
blocked on a few major Iranian ISPs. Details are rather rough but we're
working on some solutions - we've long had an ace up our sleeves for
this exact moment in the arms race but it's perhaps come while the User
Interface edges are a bit rough still.

Here's the deal - we need people to run Tor bridges but a special kind
of Tor bridge, one that does a kind of traffic camouflaging - we call it
an obfuscated bridge. It's not easy to set up just yet because we were
not ready to deploy this for everyone yet; it lacks a lot of analysis
and it might even only last for a few days at the rate the arms race is
progressing, if you could call it progress.

There are highly technical instructions here:
https://www.torproject.org/projects/obfsproxy-instructions.html.en

Hi,

For what its worth, my server is a Ubuntu Maverick box, and here are some instructions for compiling..

http://www.andydixon.com/2012/02/11/compiling-obfsproxy-on-ubuntu-maverick/

Andy