Re: [tor-talk] some clarifications on hidden services ...

2012/2/13 John Case <case@xxxxxxx>:

> ÂThese are the "entry guards" that the doc refers to later, right ?

No, these are called "Introduction points", entry guards are something else.

> - If all of the random relays that I announce to initially go away, will I
> see that in logs/errors/messages, or be alerted in some way ? ÂI assume I'd
> need to reintroduce the service, but I could keep the same .onion address,
> right ?

If it loses connection to an introducton point it will immediately
choose a new random node to use and once the circuit to the new
introduction point is established it will announce it.

> - Other than losing my own keys, is there anything else that would force me
> to use a new .onion addre ? ÂOr can those stay persistent indefinitely ?

If you lose them or if someone managed to steal them (because then the
thief with your key can impersonate your service)

> - Can I move my hidden service around, physically, from network to network,
> and just reintroduce myself with each move ?

Yes, absolutely. only a dew minutes and you are online again at your
new location with the same .onion address

> ÂI assume this adds to my
> risks, since each reintroduction tells three more organizations the real IP
> of my hidden service, yes ?

No. Nobody knows the IP address of your service because you only
connect via 3 tor hops to the Introducton points (and to the
rendezvouz points), none of them ever learns where the service is
located.

Bernd