Re: [tor-talk] Tails and a way to permanently install it on a removable media

02/20/2012 09:52 PM, Ian Strange:
>> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Runa A. Sandvik
>

>> I think this just makes a live Tail USB not an installed one.
>
> Yep.
>
> According to
> https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/your_data_wont_be_saved_unless_explicitely_asked/index.en.html
>
> "Future versions of Tails will propose a feature to save some files or
> configuration, but it is still being developped."[sic]
>
> Far be it from me to speak for the developers here, but it seems to me
> that the stated purpose of the project is to provide a live CD or live USB
> system, not provide an installation method.

You are correct. Our plan is to (optionally) make select parts of the
filesystem persistent [1] with the data saved on a second, encrypted
partition on the USB drive Tails is installed to. This is finally
planned for inclusion in the next major Tails release, which is
scheduled for release in late April.

Cheers!

[1] Examples: email/IM configurations, gpg/ssh/otr keyrings/configs, Tor
cache (for entry guards), a general data storage. For more, see:
https://tails.boum.org/todo/persistence/#index1h2