Re: [tor-talk] please re-consider Tor Trademark policy

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 03:17:31AM -0500, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> I'd love to see ways we can be more permissive without abandoning the
> trademark entirely. I'd been under the impression that we were doing
> pretty good.  We seem to be at least as open as with our trademark as
> Debian, for example.  Where specifically is our current policy shitty?
> After reading it... what specifically should it allow IYO that it
> doesn't?

Heya, speaking as Debian lead here, I just want to point out that we've
recently (as in: ~1 month ago) improved our trademark policy.  Version
2.0 is available at http://www.debian.org/trademark#policy , in case you
want to check it out.

As it often happens with the legal matters we deal with, we've worked
under legal advice from SFLC, and we always try to share the information
we get with other free software projects. So feel free to build upon it.
But needless to say: legal advise is not transferable so, unfortunately,
you're on your own when reusing.

For what is worth, our "specification" for the policy has been something
like "be as liberal with our trademarks as law permits, without
undermining our trademark rights". The reason is precisely the one given
by Nick: avoid giving up on the possibility of fighting abuses, such as
people claiming to distribute Debian, and distributing malware instead.

HTH,
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack@xxxxxxxxxx . . . . o . . . o . o
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .