Re: [tor-talk] How to protect apache local-restricted from secret service access?

On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 04:57:44PM +0100, david wrote:

> If you would not like to disable the /server-status you could use
> something like:
>
>   AuthType Basic
>   AuthName "Authentication Required"
>   AuthUserFile "/etc/htpasswd/.htpasswd"
>   Require valid-user
>
>   Order allow,deny
>   Allow from all
>
> and protect it with some really heavy user/password.

> example.

> >> You can use firewall rules.
> >> (...)
> >
> > I don't think you can a firewall, no:
> >
> > "apachectl status" is querying from localhost to
> > http://localhost:80/server-status
> >
> > Connection from tor hidden service also comes from localhost and
> > iptables won't help there.
> >

> > I tried 10 random http hidden services with that trick, and could find 2
> > servers with information that shouldn't be available, like which service
> > are sharing on the same server, the security patch level, list of URL
> > being served, and so on. I also could read one public IP on another
> one. :(
> >
> > If you run apache, you should probably disable mod_status. Now.
> >

> > # grep -iEr 'require +local' /etc/apache2/
> > lists possible problems for apache2.4, for example.
> > Each webapp should also be checked for special permissions granted when
> > remote IP is actually localhost.
> >

> > Documentation really should warn about this, IMHO:
> > https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-hidden-service.html
> > and possibly a one line warning in the example torrc since
> > "HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:80" typically is a problem.
> >

> > I might move httpd and tor to 2 different VM. Any nicer idea?
>
> - --
>
> PGP-Key:
> https://www.endofnet.org/David_K._david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx%280x1F86D6CB%29_pub.asc
>
> --

You could also run the apache instance in a Docker container or an LXC
container to separate it that way.

--

             Christine Dodrill <xena@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
       2E5C BE74 C16D ED81 6351  E7CE B58E EB12 46DF 6D21

  âLinux printing was designed and implemented by people working
  to preserve the rainforest by making it utterly impossible to
  consume paper.â
â Athas