Re: [tor-talk] Whois servers rejecting Tor users.

Justaguy <justaguy@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I spotted this today.
> % Sorry, access from your host has been permanently
> % denied because of a repeated excessive querying.
> % For more information, see
> %
> http://www.ripe.net/data-tools/db/faq/faq-db/why-did-you-receive-the-error-201-access-denied
>
> I tested on some other relays, they are also blocked.

Did you try by using the web whois tool provided at https://www.ripe.net/,
or did you use a Torified command-line whois? I can reproduce the 201 error
on the former, but the latter worked after two tries (first try told me that
I had exceeded the rate limit and had to wait 85 more seconds).

whois servers are notorious for having very tight rate limiting on requests;
maybe the RIPE web app is even more limiting.

--
WGG