[tor-talk] Building a new censorship circumvention tool: what do we need to know?

Dear Tor fellows,

At eQualit.ie we're beginning a project to develop a new Free/Open
Source censorship circumvention system based around the idea of our
original [CeNo project](https://github.com/equalitie/ceno), a system
which uses the Freenet P2P platform to retrieve web content and make it
safely available under censorship conditions.  We're keen to evaluate
existing options, projects, technologies and approaches so we're
conducting something of a literature review.

With this purpose, we're reaching out to people involved in similar or
related projects.  We'd love to hear what you think is the current state
of the art in this area, and particularly about technologies you'd
describe as trustworthy, reliable and established.  In particular, we're
looking for tools that have one or more of the following properties:

  1. Content is available under censorship conditions, ideally even
     after connection to the Internet has been completely cut for a
     whole region.
  2. Censored content is made available within a reasonable time.
  3. Access to censored dynamic content (i.e. web apps) is possible.
  4. The system benefits from the user's participation, and is resistant
     to participants dropping off and to rogue nodes in the hands of the
     censor.
  5. Users of the system are anonymous to someone observing their
     traffic, even if that someone is a participant in the system.
  6. Users' devices don't reveal the content that they or other users
     have accessed.
  7. The system is amenable to privacy-preserving analytics to check its
     impact.

We know that we'll probably need a combination of several tools to
achieve these properties, so we're not looking for a silver bullet but
rather some advice and suggestions from you that may help us move in the
right direction.  We will be dedicating at least 2 years solid
development to a chosen infrastructure design and hope to contribute to
existing models, as part of our (likely hybrid) appraoch to the
eventuating infrastructure.

By the way, part of the team will be at the upcoming
[Internet Freedom Festival](https://internetfreedomfestival.org/) in
Valencia (6-10 March).  If you plan to be there we'd love to chat with
you face to face.`:)`

Thank you very much for your help!

Ivan Vilata i Balaguer