Re: [tor-talk] Fingerprinting of Media Players

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 12:04 AM, procmem <procmem@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi I had a question on the safety of using third party mediaplayers
> outside Tor Browser so I can document it for our users.
>
> With Whonix, IP and DNS leaks are not a problem

And that ends the part containing any tor questions.

> however can using VLC leak information about installed
> codecs on a system to the site?

As with what info FTP, bittorrent, ICQ, HTTP, etc stuff in
their datastream... that's question for VLC, go ask them.

> Can the media rendering speed of a machine be remotely detected? - This
> last one is important in cases where people run opensource youtube app
> alternatives thru Orbot.

With enough observation by determined adversary
perhaps yes (tor does not really try to defeat GPA
level bad dudes). Does adversary care whether you're
watching Disney or psytrance, perhaps no.