From: owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Zinco
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 12:00 AM
To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: (FWD) Using Tor with IRC/Chat clients

Andrew I do not know about IRC but I do know I have had similar trouble with
FTP clients.  If the application supports socks you do not need to use
sockscap.  I am not quite sure how this works but I believe with FTP in
passive mode the client initiates the request to open a data channel which
needs to be excepted by the server.  I think that if the server does not
have the right support or is not configured to support passive socks data
connections than it sends a request back which tor refuses.  I believe that
tor socks client will only allow outgoing data connections as allowing
incoming would defeat the anonymity purpose.

SocksCap does support socks4 and socks5.  Under socks5 there are options as
to where you want the dns names resolved.  I think in this case we want them
all resolved remotely.  Try sockcap in socks5 resolve remotely and sockisfiy
your app.  That doesn't seem to work with ftp because I think the issue is
on the server end.  Funny thing is sometimes FTP will work and other times
not on the same server.  It gets messed up when the client attempts to open
a data connection at the server.

227 Entering Passive Mode (**,**,***,***,**,**)
    Opening data connection IP: **,**,***,***,**,** PORT: 5912.
    LIST -aL
530 PASV command only accepts connection from client IP address
550 List failed. No port specified.
    NOOP
200 NOOP command successful.

Don't know how much of this applies to your trouble.  And someone please
straighten me out where I am wrong.

Zinco