[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
Re: Help!! I'm a total computer n00b and know nothing and need to learn how Tor works
- To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Help!! I'm a total computer n00b and know nothing and need to learn how Tor works
- From: Vincent BTinternet <vincentnls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 06:44:31 +0000
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 01:44:52 -0500
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:Date:From:User-Agent:X-Accept-Language:MIME-Version:To:Subject:References:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=uBnj2KvDXDxRFlAKHBHeNERX+DyvvtC3QgVb4EuZmuVjh+xtTk4dRBcWH5i56uGdmzhSCrc0/PtjhNDM2tm44nSdA3BN7rUKlGka5FrB3CHIdLkHE40CbWPhdzIzFHXml1d189SRdM1QzjIFHDXauwF+dht5a6IG3Czr+REKi8U= ;
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.7 (Windows/20050923)
Nice to know I am not the only person who feels incompetent sometimes.
Half the time I don't read stuff properly and learn through trial and error.
This text is copied from [Zyprexa-discuss] tor link does not work at:
"Someone said that they thought the tor download link on the wiki was
... it is not as of now... it goes no where.
So it's apparently conclusive: I know of no source for anyone to
download these documents at this time.
If someone does know, they may want to edit the wiki to reflect that...
But please -- if you do so -- build a bridge to "non-geeks."
Some of my favorite books are the "For Dummies" books. Yeah,
sometimes those books really are dumb... but often those books smash
smash SMASH the wall between those out-of-the-know and those in-the-
know. That's why they're so popular! I love that attitude.
So take a lesson from some of the most popular series of how-to books
of all times....
If you have some knowledge (such as about Tor).... spell it out in
even a few simple steps and introductory info on the wiki.
And of course, leave NO acronyms unexplained... we already know
Mentioned wik http://zyprexa.pbwiki.com/ does have some
http://zyprexa.pbwiki.com/Tor%20Instructions , but they are in bullet
summmary Go Here: http://tor.eff.org/documentation.html.en
After reading above e-mail, I feel like pointing out that I find it slightly
obvious that a "tor download link" requires that you've managed to install
Tor and make it work. So, I completely agree that it would be nice with a
clean clear-cut page with "a few simple steps" - a few VERY simple steps -
who explain how to get Tor working on Windows.
There IS already a page, http://tor.eff.org/docs/tor-doc-win32.html.en and
this page looks to me like it is a clean clear-cut page with "a few simple
However, I'd really like any Windows user who's using Tor to share their views
on how to make those instructions even simpler, because - apparently - it's
not "For Dummies".
Disclaimer: I mean no disrespect to the person who posted above e-mail. I'm
just pointing out there is a demand for very simple instructions (For
those "How do I switch TV channels on my remote control? How do I get on this
Internet? What's Tor?" people)