Re: Question for Job and others / was: Re: Tor and Thunderbird: Outgoing Email Unsafe?

Nils Vogels wrote:
> On 1/3/07, GeorgeDS <georgeds@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I'm having some trouble visualizing (maybe I lack
>> imagination) why it should be so important to hide yourself from someone
>> receiving your email. If you've already gone through a free email
>> service, and used an obscure email name, your real IP has negligible
>> value. That is unless the emails were harassing or otherwise violated
>> the origin ISP policies, in such a way that the ISP might reveal sender
>> information to the recipient, or cancel the sender's account.
>
> Think about cases such as whistleblowing about for instance corporate
> activities that are illegal or suspected illegal, without it having
> reprecussions in your professional career, or personal situation.
>
> Think possible AA-meetings over the internet, or discussing hobbies
> that are frowned upon by activist groups in society, such as rituals
> involving animals or crossdressing, just to name a few.
>
>> It's unlikely to be relevant in this situation (Job does not appear to
>> be a US resident), but US residents who use Tor to harass or annoy email
>> recipients anonymously are committing a federal crime. In early January
>> 2006, Bush signed the Violence Against Women Act, which provided among
>> other things "Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used
>> to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that
>> are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet...

without
>> disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or
>> harass any person
These lines mean that if you use Tor for something illegal, you get
punished. You have nothing to fear if you do nothing wrong and hide.
...who receives the communications...shall be fined

--
They who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
Safety, deserve neither Liberty or Safety