Re: Question for Job and others / was: Re: Tor and Thunderbird: Outgoing Email Unsafe?

On 1/3/07, GeorgeDS <georgeds@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm having some trouble visualizing (maybe I lack imagination) why it should be so important to hide yourself from someone receiving your email. If you've already gone through a free email service, and used an obscure email name, your real IP has negligible value. That is unless the emails were harassing or otherwise violated the origin ISP policies, in such a way that the ISP might reveal sender information to the recipient, or cancel the sender's account.

Think about cases such as whistleblowing about for instance corporate activities that are illegal or suspected illegal, without it having reprecussions in your professional career, or personal situation.

Think possible AA-meetings over the internet, or discussing hobbies
that are frowned upon by activist groups in society, such as rituals
involving animals or crossdressing, just to name a few.

It's unlikely to be relevant in this situation (Job does not appear to
be a US resident), but US residents who use Tor to harass or annoy email
recipients anonymously are committing a federal crime. In early January
2006, Bush signed the Violence Against Women Act, which provided among
other things "Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used
to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that
are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without
disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or
harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined
under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

This reads to me that you are implying that if you are not annoying, abusing or threatening, you have no need to hide your identity.

This, to me, is the world upside-down. My identity is not something I
give out to just anybody, especially not over the internet, where I
can not verify what happens with this information.

Greetings,

Nils
--
Simple guidelines to happiness: