Re: tor and p2p

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 02:17:47PM -0700, eweb101 wrote:
> I don't think it would be too difficult to get something like
> bittorrent working within the Tor network. What I mean by that is both
> the tracker and all clients are within the network. We'd  have to
> update the bittorrent client software to not use IP addresses of
> course, but something similar has already been done on Azureus for I2P.
> Users of the network would have to set themselves up a hidden service
> in order to participate.
>
> I'm sure there will be scaling issues involved with the increased
> number of hidden services and we'd want to optimize some of the
> transfer parameters but conceptually, it shouldn't be difficult to
> support.

See "Challenges in deploying low-latency anonymity" available on the
Tor docs webpage via a link in the URL Roger gave in his last message
or at
http://www.onion-router.net/Publications.html#challenges

for a preliminary discussion. Cf. the sections "Bandwidth and file-sharing"
and "Scalability".

HTH,
Paul
--
Paul Syverson                              ()  ascii ribbon campaign
Contact info at http://www.syverson.org/   /\  against html e-mail