Re: Problems understanding and using Vidalia Network Map

     On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 19:41:00 +0100 kazaam <kazaam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 19:13:31 +0100
>"Ben Stover" <bxstover@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On the left side there are the available Tor servers.
>
>correct
>
>> But what connections are in the mid column (below the worldmap) ?
>
>These are the opened and opening connections. Tor is always trying to open =
>new circuits and jumps to them if the old circuit-connection has timed out =
>(I guess by default ~10min)
>
>> Can I choose one of these connections ?
>> If yes: How ? I did not found a "select this connection" button/context m=
>enu
>
>no
>
>> Is the rightmost server always the exitnode of a connection line?
>
>exactly

     Almost.  However, if you watch the display changing as new circuits are
being built, you will note that the last node listed is simply the last one
added to the circuit.  Once circuit construction has completed, the last node
added is, of course, the exit node.  Individual connections exiting from that
node get listed right below the display of the circuit's route.
     A note to Ben:  you really desperately need to read the tor documentation.
It is most unsafe to use tor without first having read the its documentation.
Your question regarding the number of circuits displayed vs. the number of
connections you have open at one time is answered in the man page.  IIRC, your
question in your previous thread is also answered in the man page.  Please
stop using tor until you have taken the time to read what it does and how to
use it properly.  Note also that the man page is the standard operational
reference, but it is most definitely not the only piece of the tor
documentation that you need to be familiar with.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG