Re: Konqueror & SOCKS with Tor+Privoxy

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 03:31:51PM -0800, Ned Bun wrote:
> I can't find an answer to this question anywhere.

You might find
https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-web
to be useful.

> In using Konqueror with Tor and Privoxy, should the SOCKS settings in
> Konqueror's Settings->Configure Konqueror->Proxy->SOCKS be configured
> in some way? It seems to work fine without the SOCKS section
> configured, but leaving the "Enable SOCKS support" box unchecked
> disturbs me slightly. Should this section need configuration if
> everything appears to be working? Why are instructions for Firefox for
> SOCKS always specified but when it comes to Konqueror, no one says
> anything about the SOCKS configuration area?

You should configure the socks part too. The reason is that browsers
have a habit of supporting all sorts of weird protocols besides http and
https, and if some webpage gives you (over Tor) a link that points to
one of those other protocols, then your browser will fetch it without
going through any proxies. If you specify a socks proxy, your browser
should [*] use the socks proxy for all other protocols.

(I say "should" because I have no idea what bugs konqueror has where
it decides it's smarter than you and shouldn't use a proxy for some
situation.)

--Roger