Re: proxychains DNS leaks stopped

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:11:13PM -0800, Kyle Williams wrote:
> Are you saying that the "proxy_dns" option in the proxychains.conf is in
> fact leaking DNS request?from the proxychains.conf file:
> "
> # Proxy DNS requests - no leak for DNS data
> proxy_dns
> "
>
> I thought it would resolve against the specified SOCKS 4/5 proxy.  Is this
> not happening?

Socks doesn't have a notion of resolving. It only has a notion of
connecting (well, and binding, but we don't use that).

We hacked on our own notion of a 'resolve' socks request:
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/tor/trunk/doc/spec/socks-extensions.txt
and I'd be surprised if any other projects use our extension.

--Roger