Re: Memory usage on relays

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 06:41:03PM -0700, John Brooks wrote:
> I run a reasonably fast (500KB/s) node with Guard+Fast+Stable, so it's
> a popular destination. It runs at bandwidth capacity at all times. The
> only problem with this is the massive memory usage that results; at
> the moment, Tor has 748MB res usage, with almost 7 days of uptime.
> Generally it escalates at a rate of 100-200MB per day after a restart,
> and tops out around this number. My understanding is that most of that
> memory usage is related to the open connections; socket buffers, SSL
> buffers, etc. At the moment (according to /proc/x/fd), Tor has 5,364
> open connections.

Nick wrote an OpenSSL patch to not waste so much memory in its internal
buffers. See item #3 on
http://archives.seul.org/or/dev/Jun-2008/msg00001.html

I ran a super-fast Tor relay recently that held 15000 TLS connections
open. That's 550MB of ram wasted inside openssl.

That said, I don't know what the current state of the patch is, or where
you can get a copy. Nick?

--Roger