How to use Google Gadgets with Tor? - Is this possible?

This post is similar to the problems people have been having with cookies and Gmail when using TorButton.

In this case within Gmail I enabled "add any gadget by URL" and then added Twitter (https://twittergadget.appspot.com/gadget-gmail.xml).
Without Tor when I click on the Twitter icon the Twitter feed appears in place of whatever Gmail folder I was currently browsing.  (This happens once I have logged in to Twitter for the first time and therefore connected the accounts).

To cut a long story short after having removed TorButton, NoScript, and HTTPS-Everywhere and therefore leaving just Tor I still cannot get Twitter to work from Gmail.  I am using Firefox.

The Twitter icon and drop-down box partially loads (but not as normal when I am not using Tor).  Clicking on it appears to load some Twitter functions e.g. "transfering data from twittergadget.appspot.com" but Twitter does not load.  Eventually all loading messages just stop and the screen stays as Gmail.

The only about:config entry about Twitter is extensions.https_everywhere.Twitter which is presumably irrelevant if I have removed HTTPS-Everywhere.

Can anyone suggest what modifications are needed to achieve a workaround or if what I am trying to do is not viable.

Thanks.