Re: How to use Google Gadgets with Tor? - Is this possible?

On 15/01/11 19:02, Mike Perry wrote:
Thus spake Matthew (pumpkin@xxxxxxxxx):

To cut a long story short after having removed TorButton, NoScript, and
HTTPS-Everywhere and therefore leaving just Tor I still cannot get Twitter
to work from Gmail.  I am using Firefox.

The Twitter icon and drop-down box partially loads (but not as normal when
I am not using Tor).  Clicking on it appears to load some Twitter functions
e.g. "transfering data from twittergadget.appspot.com" but Twitter does not
load.  Eventually all loading messages just stop and the screen stays as
Gmail.
I've noticed that some mashup services mysteriously break when Google
decides to give them/you a captcha. This could be happening to you. You
could try to solve a google captcha by issuing some queries and/or
using Google maps first, to see if this makes any difference. Usually
once you have the cookies for a session that solves a captcha, Google
does not make you solve another.

Mike - thanks for your advice.

This is not an issue for me.  I do not get a captcha.

You could also install an addon to observe the requests your browser
uses in both non-Tor and Tor accesses of this gadget to see if the
requests appear different for some reason. That may help diagnose the
cause:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/live-http-headers/
I installed this add-on.

I wiped my cache and cookies and used the headers and generator tabs with just Polipo and Tor running (no TorButton, NoScript, etc).

Then I logged into Gmail and waited until everything fully loaded then clicked the Twitter icon and waited until Twitter fully loaded (although as mentioned one does not see the Twitter screen when using Tor).

There were two "warnings" from the headers that looked like this:

Server: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
Age: 1
Connection: keep-alive
Warning: 110 localhost:8118 Object is stale

These warnings did not appear in the headers when doing the same action in a non-Tor state.

I can only find this exact text once and it does not refer to Tor: http://www.visualwebripper.com/forum/yaf_postst223_Add-option-to-change-the-request-header-on-link-templates-input-data-etc-.aspx

The HTTP-headers addon generated 120K of text from the "headers" and "generator" tabs simply from attempting to load Twitter with Tor. Therefore there may well be other content of interest which I did not notice but the two warnings were the most overt.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tamper-data/