Re: Is "gatereloaded" a Bad Exit?

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 08:39:29PM -0500, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> The website also advises that sniffing exit traffic is potentially a crime.
>
> (http://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-legal-faq.html.en#ExitSnooping)
>
> So I very much think you are mistaking the perspective of the website
> operators. Please don't confuse the realistic position of "We can't
> prevent this from happening" from the "we approve of this activity".
>
> Can you exactly point out places where the website seems to suggest
> that "anything goes" is actually permitted?

Greg, the site encourages you to download and install the software tor
package. It comes with no 'license' or established rules as is. This is a
fact. There are no requirements to me running a node. If I wanted to set
one up that logged maliciously I could tell you right here in this message
and not publish it - not counting that you could check for newly
established nodes there would be absolutely nothing you could do about it.
This lack of control implies consent for an operator to do anything they
wish in my opinion.

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 8:10 PM, mi nt <mint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Furthermore I would like to add that if I ran an exit I *might* just not
> > put contact info on it. I don't see the issue unless it's rejecting
> > traffic and I'm screwing up the network. Even if it was I'd figure it out
> > eventually. I wouldn't want you weirdos emailing me anyway ;)
>

> The chances of receiving email from the weirdos here can be minimized
> by unsubscribing from this mailing list.
> Just saying! :-)

The chances of having your traffic logged by malicious operators, known or
unknown, allowing traffic on 443 or not, can be minimized by not using
Tor.
Just saying! :-)

 --
mint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx