Re: [tor-talk] Tor exit+proxy

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 3:21 AM,  <hmoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do you mean 1) the exit node admin should setup to use an open proxy to protect him? Or 2) do you mean if the users would in some cases set this up their self?
>
> For case 1) this wouldn't be the most wise thing to do... Explanation...
>
> Those open proxy lists... Well, my guess how they are created... Some people are scanning the internet and if they find an open proxy they'll add it to the list. But it does not mean the admin of the open proxy is aware that he is hosting an open proxy. In many cases open proxy's are just misconfigured home or enterprise networks. Few are probable hosting them for evil reasons and a minority for good reasons (want to give anonymity to people out of the goodness of their heart like some tor node admins).
>
> Not sure it's a good idea or legal to use someone as proxy without his consent, even if it's an open proxy from an open proxy list it can not be sure he is aware of that. Not sure if that would be good for the reputation and legality of Tor.

I meant case 1).
I have absolutely zero knowledge of US law. I don't know if
hidemyass.com are getting into trouble for posting a list of open
proxies. Sometimes this kind of stuff get fixed with a disclaimer, but
that's up to Tor team and their lawyers to decide. After all, law is
just one more protocol.