Re: [tor-talk] Terminology: Deep v Dark Web

On 01/26/2014 06:23 AM, Katya Titov wrote:

I generally agree, however the term is in common usage and we're probably stuck with it, just as we're stuck with the common definition of the word 'hacker'. I guess we could define a synonymous word and use that in lieu of "dark" ... 'private' isn't quite correct, and 'hidden' probably isn't either. I like 'overlay' but I'm not sure how it would go with the media and users. I've placed some definitions in the article and made some rearrangements and minor additions. Please feel free to update and/or discuss.
Why should you be stuck with anything? You're writing an important piece for an important project: You know... the onion with the crown? What you're writing may well become a source, a reference. You drive the conversation. All the words are belong to you. :)

In a very broad sense I'd suggest:

'Commercial' that is open to all (sort of) and is after whatever can be monetized.

'Private' that is behind all those heavy-metal firewalls and exists primarily in support of 'commercial'.

'Neutral' for those referred to as 'deep' or 'dark' and, like Tor, seek to be common carriers:Identity is by choice, not by mandate. The connotations of the word 'neutral' are benign. It also suggests 'net neutrality' (original recipe... not KFCC's extra-crispy). Further, 'Neutral Net' has a nice ring to it. Shorten that to 'NeuNet' and the media might run with the concept. They love that stuff; it makes the Pulitzer fairies run around in their heads.

Happy trails,
Rick