Re: [tor-talk] force apt-get & yum updates through tor?

On 01/18/2015 04:23 PM,
BM-2cTjsegDfZQNGQWUQjSwro6jrWLC9B3MN3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm wondering what the best way to force yum and apt-get through tor
> is, in fedora 21 and debian 7.7 respectivly. Are any of the following
> least likely to produce dns or other leaks, or considered safest?
>
> In fedora, I see several options for forcing yum through tor:
>
> OPTION 1: (appears to work)
> sudo nano /etc/yum.conf
> ADD THIS: proxy=socks5://127.0.0.1:9050
> Use yum normally...is this likely to leak anything, dns perhaps?
>
> OPTION 2: (safest?)
> sudo torsocks yum ...
> This seems to work, though produces lots of this error at the command
> line: WARNING torsocks[12367]: [syscall] Unsupported syscall number 191.
> Denying the call (in tsocks_syscall() at syscall.c:165). Is this a
> concern or just noise?
>
> OPTION 3: setup privoxy with tor, direct yum through privoxy
>
> OPTION 4: specify tor-ip:port as socks_proxy enviornment variable
>
> OPTION 5:
> proxy3 recommended here, though I don't see why this isn't just less
> clean:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO/Misc

I'm using your OPTION 3 on a Debian Wheezy system and it's working for
me. I sometimes get a bad package (didn't download properly) and I have
to remove it and re-download it.

> Alternatively, does anyone know a clean way to force all traffic
> through tor?

I run hidden services in a VM with no internet access, and route apt-get
through privoxy on a separate VM. Seems to work well for me.

-Thom