Re: [tor-talk] Craigslist now blocking all Tor IPs? Template for anyone:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 13:15:43 -0800, Greg Norcie <gnorcie@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I (and a few other friends) have noticed Padmapper's results seem less complete than usual lately.

Coincidence?

I would think than an organization like Padmapper would have the technical and financial wherewithal to build out their own network of scraper nodes apart from the tor network.

This would be almost impossible to block especially if they stood up the infrastructure on a large cloud providers where instances could be re-provisioned with new IP address in numerous cities all over the globe in a matter of minutes with a click of the button.

It used to be that craigslist page loads via Tor were just painfully slow, which could have been a rate limiting strategy to combat scrapers, now they just ban it all together.

I'm curious why Craigslist doesn't just sell their listing data via API access to companies like Padmapper, that would be a win-win.