[tor-talk] Multicast Onion Services for video-streaming?

Within the Italian Nexa Center for internet and Society mailing list,
there was recently a discussion on the IP-level blocking forced by the
government's judges to ISPs against "informal/unofficial" football video
streaming services.

I learned that those kind of services, usually provide browsers plug-in
to distribute the streaming in a semi-p2p-bittorrent-way.

Btw, the IP-blocking regardless of the reasons, is basically censorship.

I was wondering if Tor network couldn't be a network/platform for that
kind of video-streaming-services.

Obviously the problem is that video-streaming require a lot of bandwidth
and massive-services attract a lot of users, so even brainstorming
something about it, would imply thinking a network/application design
that does not increase linearly the bandwidth resources required for
each new user.

So, it come up to my mind that in MAN (metropolitan area network) that
share a common network topology and software, multicast is used for that
kind of purposes.

On my italian fiber service provider Fastweb, when i use their own TV
with their own set-top-box and click "Channel X", there's basically a
"join" to a multicast group, that will then deliver me the streaming and
in their network topology there are "edges" that does cache and
redistribute the content.

So, i was wondering if the multicast streaming concept for content
distribution with edges-caching, couldn't fit somehow in a future Tor
network use-cases or design.

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights