Re: [tor-talk] Browserspy knows my computer time

On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 20:28:45 +0000, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
> How does Browserspy.dk get the correct local time & time zone from TBB
> 6.08 on my PC?

It doesn't like tor much:

  Access denied. Your IP address is blacklisted. If you feel this is in
  error please contact your hosting provider's abuse department.

> I don't have any addons (other than default) and no plugins.  They'd
> have to get it somewhere else in TBB or Windows is leaking it?

No idea. For ease of other readers here is the complete output
(after a few 'new circuit's):

Time and date                           Tue Jan 10 2017 09:34:40 GMT+0000 (UTC)
GMT'ed                                  Tue, 10 Jan 2017 09:34:40 GMT
Locale String                           1/10/2017, 10:34:40 AM
Time-Zone offset                        0 minutes
Milliseconds since January 1, 1970      1484040880000
Internet Beat                           @ 440
Time on browserspy.dk server            Tue, 10 Jan 2017 03:34:34 -0600
Time on your PC                         1/10/2017, 10:34:40 AM
Difference between server and PC time   7 seconds

> Browserspy also showed the difference between their server time and my
> PC, down to a few seconds.

That is no problem - local clock is obtainable (javascript)
(try apk.li/clock.html if you like).

I guess the locale string is also exposed via javascript somewhere,
although the zero 'Time-Zone offset' mal also indicate there is
something wrong in the server-side implementation.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>