[tor-talk] New report: Blocking of Wikipedia & Social Media in Venezuela

Hello,

In collaboration with Venezuela Inteligente, IPYS Venezuela & DFRLab, we
just published a new research report, titled: "From the blocking of
Wikipedia to Social Media: Venezuela's Political Crisis".

Our joint report is available via the following links:

* OONI site:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/venezuela-blocking-wikipedia-and-social-media-2019/

* VI site: https://vesinfiltro.com/noticias/report-jan-2019/

* IPYS site:
https://ipysvenezuela.org/2019/01/29/from-the-blocking-of-wikipedia-to-social-media-venezuelas-political-crisis/

We share OONI data on recent, politically-motivated cases of internet
censorship in Venezuela, starting off with the blocking of Wikipedia, to
then sharing data on the recent blocking of Instagram, Twitter and
YouTube. We also examine network anomalies that occurred during last
week's protests, which show that some Google IPs might have temporarily
been blocked. OONI data findings were further corroborated through
manual curl testing, in collaboration with Venezuela Inteligente.

Our findings show that Venezuelan ISPs have started to rely on more
advanced censorship techniques, beyond DNS-based censorship, as
state-owned CANTV is implementing SNI-based filtering as well. This
follows years of increased censorship events, as documented in our
previous research report:
https://ooni.io/post/venezuela-internet-censorship/

We observe a strong correlation between recent political events and
internet censorship in Venezuela (explained comprehensively in our
latest report). The situation remains tense and as political events
unfold, the public can monitor censorship events through the use of OONI
Probe (https://ooni.io/install/) and OONI data (https://ooni.io/data/).

We thank all OONI Probe users in Venezuela who made this study possible.

Please share our research with your networks:
https://twitter.com/OpenObservatory/status/1090346458707050496

Thanks,

~ OONI team.

--