[tor-talk] OnionWall - A firewall for Tor based on OpenWrt

Hello everyone!

I would like to share a project I have been working on.

https://gitlab.com/valldrac/onionwall

OnionWall is essentially a hardware device that sits between Tor Browser and the outside world and blocks non-Tor traffic. It is not a transparent proxy but a firewall. All traffic should be explicitly proxied to the TorPort. Otherwise it will be blocked.

It is inspired by https://github.com/grugq/portal but built from scratch on top of OpenWrt and more easier to maintain.

A key difference compared to previous works is that the TorPort is on Ethernet not Wifi. So it helps to use a disposable PC without any radio for browsing. This way you can reduce the risk of leaking your real location in case someone breaks into your PC while you are browsing anonymously with Tor Browser.

If you want to try it out, download and flash the pre-built firmware. You can also customize your own using the build system (Vagrantfile).

For now, it supports one portable wireless router. But I plan to add more devices if people find it useful.

Cheers,
Oscar