Re: I'm seeing someone else's localhost.localdomain

> > > While firefox, using tor/privoxy, seems to not
> check/resolve with
> > > '/etc/hosts' before going to a net dns machine.
> I suppose that,
> > > possibly, this is a firefox issue while in
> 'proxy mode'.
> >
> > Add localhost, 127.0.0.1 to "No proxy for"
>
> They're already in there.  Iirc, they're there by
> default.

Do you have "pgsql.localhost.localdomain" in there,
too? Otherwise, Firefox has no way of knowing that
this host resolves to 127.0.0.1. and should therefore
not use the proxy in the first place.

By the way, I don't think either Firefox, Privoxy or
the client side of Tor should change their behaviour
here. Think about this: Usually, an application
doesn't parse a host configuration file by itself. It
is the OS's job to handle these configuration issues,
and replicating them on the application layer makes no
sense. Therefore, an application just sends a resolve
request to the underlying OS and lets the OS figure
out where to look. Unfortunately, if the host in
question is not found in the hosts file, this would
result in the OS leaking information by resolving this
host by regular, non-encrypted DNS. Not good.

I think excluding local host names from using the
proxy is the proper way to go.

Robert