Re: @Scott Bennett

     On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:34:38 +0200 Ansgar Wiechers <tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> What about it?
>
>Had you taken an actual look at RFC 1855 you wouldn't have to ask.

     Once again your presumption is mistaken.  I had indeed read that
gloriously opaque stretch of text, though it has been a while since I last
suffered through it.
     In any case, I did not refer to that document, as your latest remark
above tacitly admits, but rather to the generally accepted practice that
had been discovered decades ago to be what worked most satisfactorily by
the participants of countless mailing lists.
     Perhaps this is a language issue.  See, for example, definition 2a at

	http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/standard[2]

which covers my usage.  Note further that definition 1a includes both my
usage ("custom") and yours ("law", although RFCs are not law, but rather
proposed reference specifications, at most).  English can be very efficient
and compact, but sometimes at the risk of ambiguity due to the plethora
of meanings that a single word may have.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG