problem with connecting to a hidden service

Hello All
I have a web server which I run as hidden service. The configuration file is the default configuration supplied with the Tor source code with appropriate changes to specify the hidden service directory and service IP etc. I observe only intermittent successful connections to the service. I to monitor the log messages of the Tor client. This is what I see on unsuccessful connection attempts

Jul 11 04:37:56.513 [notice] Tried for 120 seconds to get a connection to [scrubbed]:80. Giving up. (waiting for rendezvous desc) Jul 11 04:44:02.957 [notice] Tried for 120 seconds to get a connection to [scrubbed]:80. Giving up. (waiting for rendezvous desc)

The web client (wget) used to connect to the server fails with 503 Forwarding Failure.

What could possibly be the problem ?

Thanks
Sambuddho