Re: A suggestion to TOR [a proxy server]

emigrant writes:
> i would like to suggest TOR to build some sort of online system,
> like a proxy server. where ppl just come and enter the address in the
> text box and hit 'surf with tor' or something.

I think this can be achieved with a Java applet. So maybe when JTor is finished. A relay could host a web server, and have the Java applet on it. The applet would need to be signed, and could be further verified by a checksum, which could be done automatically by Torbutton. The server would act as the entry point for all of your circuits. Since the JVM is running on your machine, the entry point would not see the destination. Imagine if there was a list of relays implementing this method, and you could possibly choose one by location.

Seth David Schoen writes:
> The Tor developers don't think that would achieve the "same
> objective" as Tor, because the proxy server would be in a
> position to know both where you are coming from and what you
> are doing.

I think this would be solved because data going from the client to the proxy server would be the same as normal traffic between client and entry node. Although it would probably bring up all sorts of adversarial issues. I am interested if anyone sees a major flaw in this design.

-koryk

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Moritz Bartl <tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That being said, you should look into the bridge concept.
> http://www.torproject.org/bridges.html.en

Bridge-relays do no good for people who can't load the tor software.
That is specifically what I was responding to.