Re: A suggestion to TOR [a proxy server]

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 05:44:29PM -0400, praedor@xxxxxxxxx wrote 2.0K bytes in 37 lines about:
: At work I am unable to run or use tor even from a USB key - they are prevented from working. It might be nice to have a website(s) that act as entry points to tor and that use names that do not immediately scream TOR PROXY SERVER!  TOR ENTRY POINT RIGHT HERE! so that it is less likely for IT departments to be able to easily block access to such (I am also prevented from accessing any proxy servers and they often name themselves as proxies to boot so they scream their nature and make it easy to block).  Is there any way to create tor entry point servers that provide the benefits of the tor network without the cost of providing the site with user ID AND endpoint site?

As someone else said, these are called bridges.

I've met people who work on systems that are effectively a dumb terminal
since they are so locked down.  I've not had any serious time to debug
how to either bypass the blocking or get tor working.  I've also noted
that these environments are also mitm all ssl, which breaks tor too.
The employees are prisoners in their own jobs.  So they spend most of
their time pretending to be busy since they can't do anything else.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project

Website: https://www.torproject.org/