Re: [tor-talk] Request for Help Configuring Torbutton for Remote Polipo

hikki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
-------- Original Message --------
From: "Jack Waugh" <zqrfvbhhdb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I want to run Polipo on a "server" machine and Firefox with Torbutton on distinct client machines not having Polipo or Tor loaded on them. How do I set it up?

I tried it with Polipo listening on its default port of 8123. I set Polipo's proxyAddress = "0.0.0.0" so it would listen to requests I set its allowedClients = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.2.0/24 since my client machine is in the latter network. These settings sufficed to allow me to brows to Polipo's manual from the client machine (before I loaded TorButton).

So with TorButton I tried configuring its SOCKS, http, and SSL proxy settings to point to the server machine and port 8123, but its test failed. So what is the right way to set it up, and please explain the underlying logic.

Your server must have two LAN devices, or at least one LAN device for your client and one WLAN device for the Internet.

I don't see why.  I run Tor/Privoxy as a server on a computer with a
single ethernet device (no wireless) just fine.  I usually use SSH
tunnels to send data from client machines instead of connecting to
Privoxy directly from the LAN, but I don't see how that fundamentally
changes anything. (I just did a quick check w/o the SSH tunnel and it seemed to work fine.) You would have to make sure that Polipo or Privoxy (or Tor, if using it w/o a proxy) is listening on the LAN connection and make sure any firewall is configured appropriately.

Now if you want to *force* the clients to use Tor, via transparent proxy
or otherwise, rather than access the Internet directly, you might need
two interfaces.  I really haven't thought that one through

Jim