Re: [tor-talk] Tor and the National lottery in the UK

On 18/07/2012 16:55, Geoff Down wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012, at 04:14 PM, Nick Brooks wrote:
Hi All

This is my first post here so 'Hello'

I have recently discovered that The National Lottery in the UK is
preventing me from accessing their website (despite the fact that my
account has funds in it) because I run a Tor node from my IP address and
that I have to not run Tor for six months before they'll allow me to
access my account.  They do this because they claim I might be outside
the UK and use a piece of software made by Neustar to 'geolocate' me.
It doesn't cause me a major problem because I can use my phone (probably
from anywhere in the world)  to access the site but I thought people
might like to know.

Regards

Nick
Hi,
  are you running an exit relay or just a middle node? They are blocking
  middle nodes too, perhaps you could explain to them the difference.
GD

I'm just running a middle relay which means my IP address never changes and that no-one else ever appears to be using my IP which makes their decision even more ridiculous. Communicating with them is like getting blood out of a stone, it took me 4 phone calls and a dozen email just to get them to tell my why I was being blocked.